Top 5 Things Men Need to Know About Testicular Cancer
This one is a sensitive subject, but we want our male readers to be as healthy as possible. After getting some great information from B.A.F.F.L.E.D. health consultant, Nurse Courtney Watkins, MSN, we have a few tips for guys to keep in mind and put into practice.
1. Unlike breast exams for women, the American Cancer Society doesn't specifically recommend self-exams. ACS strongly recommends regular doctor visits, so a professional can be certain there are no problems. If you haven't seen your doctor recently, call them--now.
2. Although a self-exam is not the first choice for monitoring testicular cancer, here are some tips for checking yourself at home....you know, between doctor visits.
3. Men of the highest risk are between the ages of 15-35. It is rare for young boys and older men.
4. There are 2 main types of testicular cancer:
Seminoma: This is a slow-growing form of testicular cancer usually found in men in their 30s and 40s. The cancer is usually just in the testes, but it can spread to the lymph nodes. Seminomas are very sensitive to radiation therapy.
Nonseminoma: This more common type of testicular cancer tends to grow more quickly than seminomas. Nonseminoma tumors are often made up of more than one type of cell, and are identified according to 4 different cell types.
5. Some men experience no symptoms, but if they do, they could include:
-Pain in the back or lower abdomen
-Lump or swelling in either testicle
-Discomfort or pain in the testicle, or a feeling of heaviness in the scrotum
-Excess development of breast tissue (gynecomastia), however, this can
occur normally in adolescent boys who do not have testicular cancer
-Enlargement of a testicle or a change in the way it feels
Again, we know this is a touchy topic, but taking care of yourself is more important than almost anything we have. Contribute to your optimal health and take care of yourself!
For more info, check out these links:
U.S. National Library of Medicine
National Cancer Institute
NBA Free Agency Popcorn Watcher By: Tonisha Hood, BMMO Consulting NBA free agency started with a few bangs. First, everyone was am...
The Ladies of Fashion Law! Fashion law is a growing niche in the legal industry and nothing short of fun and exciting. In ...
B.A.F.F.L.E.D.'s Black Friday Special! For deals beyond the doorbusters, check out these great sites for your holiday shopping pleasure...
Happy Birthday Blue Jeans! What was once an item necessary for work during the gold rush is now a staple in every wardrobe. From $10 &quo...